Week 2 - Sun

Late Entry | SN Cleveland
BEQ#: 832 - R219
SUN - 02APR17
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday was a fairly chill day, however because duty section 4 had Saturday we were still required to wake up at rev to muster for the turnover. This was an odd experience for me because it was the first time being woken up where there was no rush since I'd gotten with the program. I didn't have food to make, I didn't need to clean the room, I just needed to get dressed and make it to the pier in time for turnover. Given that it was a duty day off I opted to explore the base a little and head to some places I'd not been instead of spending the full day continuing my exploration of digital worlds.
 
First on my list was heading to the Loft. The loft is one of the MWR locations on the third floor of Bldg. 2A, on the third floor with several vista views of various angles on base and the lake it features a small theater playing free movies (Rocky Horror Picture Show was playing when I was in), a free access computer lab with CAC card readers, an arcade area, pool hall, video game area with stations with all the major consoles, a Zappers, three music rooms with instruments, ping-pong, and a rental room where you can rent DVD's and watch them in a shared space. Needless to say the Loft will require further exploration at a later date.

Second on my list was Bldg. 4, located just down the street from the loft it's a converted gym that features the rock-climbing wall, the "warrior zone" which is a cross-fit like area, some cardio equipment, basketball courts, racquetball courts and a track. I plan on looking into some of the programs here, this is where our mando happens as well.

I attempted to make it into the fleet and family support center in bldg 26 however I arrived after their hours so I will attempt to return for their counsel during the week and am less familiar with their offerings. I decided to post at the Loft for a bit when some friends from Div 098 contacted me about possibly meeting up, I met Mackee at the Loft and started over to the Epicenter when we were stopped by a Chief who helpfully suggested I put on my cover. This was a novel thought as I myself nor my companion had completely failed to realize I'd walked out into the brisk Illinois evening without it.

A quick (but nerve-racking) jog cover-less back down the street returned it to me and I headed to the Epicenter to watch The Great Wall with the group. During my time here at TSU I will highly enjoy going to $3 - 4 movies. I've now gone to two, and almost slept through one and I've still not paid the cost of a ticket back home. The only thing that's different then a regular theater is the Navy Pride video that plays with the national anthem before every presentation. We all rise, honor the nation and then on the the movies. All and all the great wall actually had some pretty good sequences and visuals but it almost completely lacked a plot, it was a big-budget trope movie made through collaboration between big-china kung-fu studios and hollywood. Enjoyable, and forgettable. The best thing about movies at the Epicenter is the ability to order food from Spins, go into the theater with your buzzer and then come out and get said food as if it was a concession and go back in. I can honestly say I've never had a burger as a mid-movie snack before, and in this case also dinner.
 
After that I broke off from the group and headed home to study, teach and spend time in the digital landscape before week two would break upon me like a ton of bricks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LATE ENTRY END

Comments

Popular Posts